Most people think of older women (perimenopausal) experiencing vaginal dryness as a result of decreased estrogen. The truth is, lubricants can benefit both men and women regardless of age. Many women, young and old suffer from vaginal dryness at some point, but are too embarrassed to discuss it. As a pelvic floor PT, this issue comes up all the time! I frequently have to give my patients permission to use lubricant and remind them that this is not atypical. There seems to be an assumption that younger women do not need lubrication and that they should always be “wet” and if they aren’t there is a problem.
Levels of vaginal secretions vary depending on several factors:
1. Stress and anxiety
2. Hormonal changes with pregnancy, breastfeeding and menstruation
3. Medical conditions such as diabetes, chemotherapy and immune disorders
4. Medications including those for allergies, birth control, and anti-depressants
5. Chemical products, such as harsh soaps
6. Lack of foreplay - women need more warm up time than men.
The type of lubricant you use is a personal choice.
I recommend these to my patients:
· Desert Harvest Aloe Glide (specific vaginal lubricant) or Releveum (if pain is associated-cream based product with 4% lidocaine in it). Both are organic, aloe based products. https://www.desertharvest.com/
· Slippery Stuff is water based and paraben free. https://www.cmtmedical.com/product/slippery-stuff/
· Good Clean Love is water based, paraben free and all natural. https://goodcleanlove.com/
Whatever you choose, do not be ashamed of the need to use lubricant!